Monday, March 28, 2011

Salmon with Sunshine Rice

Photo from WholeFoodsMarket.com
So I found this recipe for Salmon with Sunshine Rice on WholeFoodsMarket.com and decided I really wanted to try it.  The recipe called for a brown rice (but I love couscous) and it also required about an hour and a half of cooking time.  When it came down to fixing the dish, I kind of went rogue and did it my own way.  This is my version of the dish...

Ingredients:
-12 oz. (wild) Alaskan Salmon fillet, bones removed and sliced into chunks
-1/2 cup Organic brown rice couscous
-1 Cup Chicken stock
-2 Cups Cauliflower florets
-1/4 Cup Chopped yellow onion
-2 tsp Curry Powder
-1 (14.5 oz) Can fire roasted diced tomatoes, with liquid
-2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
-Juice of 1/2 Lemon
-2 Tbsp chopped parsley for garnish

Directions:
1) Cook couscous according to package.  *For mine, I brought 1 Cup chicken stock to boil, added 1/2 cup couscous, covered and simmered for 12 minutes.
2) While couscous simmers, prepare salmon.  Heat 1-2 Tbsp EVOO in a saute pan over medium heat.  Add salmon skin side up and cover.  When salmon is almost completely cooked, turn over and continue to cook until completely done.  Place salmon in warm oven while finishing cooking.
3) In clean saute pan add 1 can fire roasted tomatoes, 2 tsp curry powder, chopped onion, lemon juice and cauliflower.  Heat to a boil, add cooked couscous and reduce heat to low.  Simmer covered for 5 minutes.
4) Garnish "sunshine couscous" with parsley and top with pieces of salmon.

*Another option would be to bake salmon while you prepare "sunshine couscous".  I prefer to saute with EVOO for an extra kick of healthy fats, and I also prefer the taste/texture this way.  Next time I might try shrimp instead of salmon, I think it would be delicious either way!

No comments:

Post a Comment