Friday, January 21, 2011

Introduction - Who I am

     I would like to start out by explaining who I am and why I am here.  As someone who struggled with health and weight issues as both a child and adolescent, I know how it feels to be hopeless.  I never thought I would be physically in shape, enjoy eating health food, or even be truly happy in life.  Working (and suffering) through my own childhood and adolescent struggles has inspired me to want to help others.  I wish that someone had been there to help me all those years ago, or even someone to look to for inspiration that knew what it was like to be in my shoes.  My parents tried the best they could, but they simply felt lost and didn't know what to do.  I personally know the pain of being made fun of because of my weight and the way I looked.  I suffered foot and knee pain from the excess weight, making gym class even more unbearable (as I couldn't run due to pain).  The teasing about my weight led me to fake illnesses to stay home from school, which just led to more emotional discomfort.  While swapping stories with a formerly obese personal trainer in Sacramento, I discovered I had all the typical stories of a bullied, overweight child.  The pain that children and adolescents endure because of their weight is so immense, I can still feel it today.
     I am glad to say that the sadness I just discussed is all in the past.  It takes a turning point, a decision to take control of your own life and health, that can change it all.  Healthy lifestyle choices can help anyone live a better quality of life.  I now lead a healthy lifestyle, choosing nutritious foods, exercising regularly and focusing on the blessings in life.  Of course I have the occasional treat, you can't completely deprive yourself :)  For me it is all about moderation and balance, this supports both physical and mental health.
     My goal is to help children and families lead all-around healthier lives.  Choosing healthier foods and incorporating more physical activity can create real change in a child's life.
     I hope to get to know many different families and individuals through this blog.  I will discuss everything from healthy eating, new recipes, exercise ideas, to healthy lifestyle product reviews.  Feel free to email me with any questions you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment