Saturday, January 22, 2011

Organic Apple Cinnamon Dog Cookies

It is always important to me that I take the time to take care of every member of my family, even the four legged ones.  I decided to bake up treats for my two yorkies, Baron and Cooper.  The dog treats are healthy and nutritious, nothing that I wouldn't eat myself!  I chose to use all organic ingredients, but that is all about personal preference.

Ingredients:
1 Cup Oat Flour
4 oz Unsweetened Apple Sauce (1 individual portion, as shown)
2/3 Cup Rolled Oats
1 Egg
1/2 tsp Wildflower Honey
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
*Cookie Sheets & Parchment Paper

All Ingredients from Whole Foods Market
Directions:
*Preheat oven to 300°F, have 2 cookie sheets lined with Parchment Paper
1. Place Rolled Oats in food processor and work until they are a fine consistency.


2. In a large bowl, combine the finely processed Rolled Oats & Oat Flour
3. In separate bowl, whisk Egg then add Unsweetened Applesauce, Cinnamon & Wildflower Honey. Mix/Whisk together wet ingredients well.

Dry Ingredients and Wet Ingredients - ready to MIX


4.  Add wet ingredients to large bowl containing dry ingredients and mix well to form dough.  Then set dough aside for 5 minutes.

The Dough - ready to sit for 5 minutes

5. Arrange dough as desired on Parchment Paper, size/shape depends on individual dog.  I personally like to make smaller cookies because my dogs are so little.  Sometimes I score the cookies down the middle with a knife, then they break apart easily when I'm handing out treats :)  This time I made mostly small cookies (some scored) but I also made a few larger cookies so you could see what they look like.

Smaller Cookies - about size of nickles
Larger Cookies - Scored to break apart easily
6. Bake the cookies for 40-45 Minutes @ 300°F.  Let cool before serving to your pups!
Storage: I keep my dog treats in storage bags (but they don't last long in our house), I know you can freeze them for 3-6 months.

If you try this recipe please comment and let us know what you and your furry friends think!  Next time I am going to try a recipe from Whole Foods for Banana Peanut Butter dog treats!



My two yorkies (Baron & Cooper) very satisfied after their fresh Organic Apple Cinnamon Dog Cookies.  They are on the couch all ready for movie night!

No comments:

Post a Comment