1. Go to the Zoo (or Aquarium)- Walking around the zoo or aquarium is a great way for your child to get exercise and learn at the same time. Many children love going to fun places with exotic animals, they won't even realize they have been walking around for hours. It's important that you walk the zoo, if you pay to ride on a tram-tour you will lose all the exercise benefits of a day at the zoo.
2. Take Fido for a walk - It sounds like a no brainer, but as Americans have begun to lead more sedentary lifestyles many of our four-legged friends are paying the price. Why not take your kids and furry friend for an after-dinner walk? This could become a very healthy ritual that everyone in the family can enjoy and benefit from.
3. Museums & Art Galleries - Another great way to blend exercise and education is by visiting local museums and art galleries. This is especially great during winter seasons in cold climates. You can spend hours walking around a large museum or gallery. The best part is you will be expanding your child's mind while getting exercise.
4. Go Window Shopping - This is another option for those making it through cold winters in the north, or hot summers in the south. Taking your kids window shopping at a large indoor mall will get their muscles going without them realizing it. The key is to make sure you walk around the mall for at least an hour, and don't make any major stops to rest.
5. Putt-Putt Golf - This is one of my personal favorites. If the weather allows, take you kids to a fun putt-putt golf course. Many will give you a discount to play it more than once, this can really keep you moving for an afternoon.
The point of these suggestions is to highlight that exercise is about getting the body off the couch and moving! Not everything has to be jogging, bicycling, etc. Many children just need to increase their regular activity through daily activities. I hope that this inspires some more creative ways to get your kids moving. Please comment below and tell me how you get your kids moving.
|My niece after hours of fun running around Dave & Busters.|
She even won a HUGE stuffed pony :)