Monday, February 7, 2011

Tex-Mex Chili

Today for lunch, I decided to make this delicious Tex-Mex Chili for my husband.  I adapted a recipe I got from Whole Foods online, adding an additional 4 oz of lean ground sirloin, substituting pinto beans for black beans, and used an italian squash.  I adapted the recipe to fit his taste and nutritional needs, I felt that the original recipe could use a little more protein punch.  It's a great meal to make ahead of time and reheat on the go!  You can also experiment with what your family likes, sometimes we add finely diced jalapeño peppers for some extra heat.


Tools: Cast Iron Enameled Casserole, I LOVE my Martha Stewart Collection Cast Iron Pot
Ingredients:
12 oz. Organic/Natural Lean Ground Beef (I used 90%)
2 Cups Organic Chicken Broth (Pacific brand)
1 Can Diced Tomatoes (about 15 oz)
1 Can Pinto Beans (about 15 oz), drained and rinsed
1 Cup Whole Kernel Corn
1 medium Sweet Onion
2 Cloves Garlic
1 Italian Squash (or zucchini), cut into small pieces
2 Tbsp Mexican Seasoning (Spice Hunter)
1 Cup Fresh Salsa (Vegetas brand)
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
*finely diced jalapeño (optional)


Prep:
Chop sweet onion and garlic clove
Cut Squash (or zucchini) into small chunks
Directions:
1) Heat 1 TBSP EVOO in Casserole and add ground beef, cook until browned.
2) Remove beef from casserole and drain.  I like to use my mesh sieve for this.
3) Add Onion & Garlic to casserole and saute until onion is transparent
4) Add beef & 2 TBSP Mexican seasoning to onion/garlic, mix well.
5) Add all remaining ingredients, mix well, cover and simmer for 20 minutes
Ready for hubby with a dollop of light sour cream!
Nutrition Information Per Serving: Recipe Yields about 6, 1-Cup Servings
205 Calories, 6g Fat, 595mg Sodium, 24g Carb, 8g Fiber, 17g Protein

No comments:

Post a Comment