Saturday, February 26, 2011

A Week of Drinks...

This week I have decided to review at least one different healthy drink/shake every day.  I have been looking to find new protein shakes and also add in some healthy "greens" type drinks as well.   Hopefully we will all find some new great products this way!

Monday, February 21st - Naked "Green Machine" (no added sugar)
Fruit: Apples, Bananas, Kiwi, Mango + hint of Pineapple

Boosts: Spirulina, Chlorella, Broccoli, Spinach, Blue Green Algae, Garlic, Barley Grass, Wheat Grass, Ginger, & Parsley

Nutrition (1 Cup): 140 Calories, 0g Fat, 15mg Sodium, 33g Carbs, 28g Sugar*, 2g Protein


*No Sugar Added (naturally occurring in fruit) 
No preservatives 
Vegan



My Review: The Green Machine might look a little strange at first, but it actually tastes great!  It makes a great mid-day snack, packed with fruit juice and healthy boosts!  I think 1/2 cup to 1 cup is a good serving size to stick to.  I'll definitely be keeping this little green drink in my regular lineup.


Tuesday, February 22nd - SPIRU-TEIN "Simply Natural Original Vanilla"
 I found this drink mix at the local health food/grocery co-op and decided to give it a try.  It is unsweetened, vegetarian and contains rice, pea and soy proteins.  I mixed the packet with 4 oz. Silk soy milk and 4 oz. water in my handy protein shake mixer with blender ball.  Since I chose the unsweetened version, I didn't have really high hopes for a flavor delight.  The drink turned out very think and almost green color.  I drank half of it, but it was a little thick to choke down.  If I were to try it again, I might add berries, honey or agave nectar to switch up the taste (and maybe extra water to thin it out).  I don't think I am going to add this drink into my nutritional playbook.

Nutrition (One packet): 80 calories, 0g Fat, 140mg sodium, 5g carbs, 14g protein.







Wednesday, February 23rd - Amazing Grass Green SuperFood Chocolate Drink Powder
I am a big fan of getting my "greens" in many different forms.  I take vegetable pills every day that supply "greens" I wouldn't normally consume in my regular diet.  What makes this "green" drink so great is that it is infused with natural cocoa and is made with Organic Greens.
Green Food Blend: wheat grass, barley, alfalfa, spirulina, spinach, chlorella, & broccoli
Antioxidant Blend: acai, maca, carrot, beet, raspberry, rose hips, pineapple, green tea & acerola cherry),
Fiber Blend:  flax seed powder, oat fiber and apple pectin fiber

Nutrition (1 Packet): 30 Calories, 1g Fat, 0g Sugar, 38mg Sodium, 2g Protein, 4g Carbs, 2g Fiber

My Review: *Dissolve mix in 1 oz water before adding to soy milk (or regular milk).  It tastes pretty good, texture can take a little getting used to, but all-in-all I will drink it again.

Thursday, February 24th - GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60
For those looking for a little more Protein punch and a more traditional protein powder, I would recommend the GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60.  The serving size is 3 scoops, but I only use 1 scoop (in water, because it has a great taste that mixes well with a "blender ball" shaker).  It is whey protein, low in carbs and very low in sugar.  1 Scoop packs 20g Protein, 93 Calories, less than 3 carbs and less than 1g sugar!








Friday, February 25th - Odwalla Vanilla Al'Mondo (Soy) 
I absolutely *LOVE* the Vanilla Al'Mondo soy-based drink by Odwalla.  It packs a big protein punch and tastes absolutely amazing - but watch the serving size (each container is actually 2 servings).  *Careful not to drink the whole thing or you will be consuming almost 400 calories.


No comments:

Post a Comment